(New Ulm, MN) – The major winter storm bearing down on the region delayed it, so construction is now scheduled to start next Tuesday (April 10th) on the Highway 14/15 New Ulm Gateway project.
Highway 14/15 from Broadway Street to Nicollet County Road 21, including the bridge over Front Street, will be closed and motorists will be detoured from Highway 14 to Nicollet County Road 37/20th Street South to Broadway Street until October.
The Highway 14/15 New Ulm Gateway project addresses intersection safety, aging bridges, poor pavement conditions and occasional road flooding around New Ulm.
Construction began in 2017, with the majority of the work and detours taking place in 2018 and 2019.
Specifically, the project includes:
- Two-lane bridge over the Minnesota River with a substructure that can be expanded to four lanes
- Two-lane bridge over Front Street designed for four lane expansion adjacent to the structure
- An interchange (bridge) at the intersection of Hwy 14 and 15 and Nicollet County Road 21 – Y intersection
- Roundabout at the Hwy 14 and Front Street intersection
- Reconstruction of Hwy 14 (7th Street) between Broadway and Front Street including city watermain and sanitary sewer replacement
- Raising Hwy 14 and 15 to be above the 100-yr flood elevation
- A trail on the north side of the Highway from German Street to the interchange
- Removal of the existing truck station outside of town and construction of a new truck station in Courtland
(Copyright© 2018 Southern Minnesota Today. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)